This new edited collection is now out, published by Ashgate (2014), in print with ebook and PDF options (all on the Ashgate site). It is edited with Elaine Fulton and Helen Parish, to whom my thanks are due for seeing it safely through the final stages with the press.
Here’s the table of contents:
- Introduction; the search for authority in the Protestant Reformation (free PDF), Elaine Fulton and Peter Webster;
- ‘Arguing about religion’: Luther’s ongoing debate with Islam, Adam S. Francisco;
- The authority of scripture and tradition in Calvin’s lectures on the prophets – Jon Balserak;
- Spiritual authority and ecclesiastical practice: John a Lasco and the Forma ac ratio – Michael S. Springer;
- ‘History as authority: Johann Sleidan and his De statu religionis et reipublicae, Carolo Quinto Caesare Commentarii – Alexandra Kess;
- Touching theology with unwashed hands: the preservation of authority in post-Tridentine Catholicism – Elaine Fulton;
- Authority and method in the Eucharistic debates of the early English Reformation – Korey D. Maas;
- ‘To conseile with elde dyuynis’: history, scripture and interpretation in Reformation England – Helen Parish;
- The ‘challenge controversy’ and the question of authority in the early Elizabethan Church – Mary Morrissey;
- Augustine ‘falleth into dispute with himself’: the Fathers and church music in Elizabethan and early Stuart England – Peter Webster;
- Conclusion – Helen Parish
You must be logged in to post a comment.